Open Letter to Sarah Lockard of AroundMainLine

| December 16, 2013

Dear Sarah:

I know we don’t know each other, but I’ve been following the fallout fiasco from your restaurant email that was leaked and I want to say

I’M SORRY.

I’m sorry that there was someone who you reached out to for business who decided that sharing a private email (and your information) was OK.

I’m sorry that the blogging industry is filled with some vultures who wait for something to feed on because they don’t want to reflect on their own lives.

I’m sorry that a business contact was not professional enough to react in a responsible way.

I’m sorry that this was blown out of proportion and reduced to petty bullying by people who hide behind computer screens.

I’m sorry that people think that the way they do business should be the exact same way that you do business.

I’m sorry that a website implied that you should be judged by the number of your followers before someone does business with you.

I’m sorry that these websites are happy to post the negative comments, but reject the supportive ones. (Yes, I tried to post a supportive comment and it was “rejected.”)

But, most of all, I’m sorry that more women aren’t standing up in this community as a show of support for you. I may only be one woman, but I didn’t want to be the one sitting quietly by while this happens.

Proud to Support You,

Jacqueline Wilson

WritRams.com, ProjectPurseClub.com

Eater Rejects My Positive Comment on a Post About Sarah

Please Check Out and Support These Other Women Stepping Up

Scary Side of Blogging on What’s Up Fagens?

We All Have Power. How Do You Use Yours? on In Good Cents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it on your social networks, leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Do it for the sock monkeys, man.

Tags: , , ,

Category: Blogging/Writing

About the Author ()

Jacqueline Wilson (WritRams) is your flight attendant for this portion of your travels. Please make sure your tray tables are stored and your seats are in the full upright position. Learn how to get me as your personal "flight attendant" or more about how to make money on your blog just like I do.

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Use the Power of the Internet for Good | December 17, 2013
  1. The supportive comment I left was deleted almost instantly. It’s so sad that these sites are working so hard to shed a negative light and not letting anyone support her. Thank you for your letter!

• WritRams says:

I know I shouldn’t be perplexed, but I am in shock that large sites are deleting positive comments so that the pot can continue to be stirred. Weird.

2. Previous 'friend' says:

The exact problem with your letter is stated in your opening line – you don’t know her personally. [unnecessary name calling edited out] Many that responded to the original post were also terrible humans with their off the cuff remarks, but knowing her and that she is nothing but a [unnecessary name calling edited out] makes us that know her feel justified that it was put out there. And trust me, you and your kindness would just be something else she would exploit and take advantage of.

• WritRams says:

I find your level of … hate … disturbing. When I see this level of hate I often have to ask myself what the hurt is inside of that person. But that is beside the point.

I happen to believe that people, even you, deserve second (third, fourth) chances. So, I’m leaving your comment here (minus the name calling) for that reason.

People change. Allow those in your life who you believe have wronged you to change. Forgive them. Move on. Don’t spread hate.

And, I can make my own decisions about people … just as you can. In this case, I CHOOSE SUPPORT.

• I think this is better than any response to your comment that I could ever write myself:

“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.” (Luke 6:27-38)

• Crystal says:

“She is nothing but a *****.” Since when is that a justification for bad behavior? I don’t like you, I think you’re a bad person, so it’s ok to drag your name through through the mud and publicly shame you for doing your job?

Because God and the people I love have dealt graciously with me, I choose to deal graciously with others – whether they “deserve” it or not.

3. Krista says:

Jackie, I am proud to stand beside you in support of this fellow blogger. I too do not know her, and the ONLY thing I have to look at to know someone needs to stand up and say “enough” is how she is being treated publicly for something that should have been kept private. The fact of rather I agree with her approach or not, is besides the fact. To have personal information released in such a hateful manner is 100% unacceptable. Period. And to those who say they know her, and there are reasons she is being treated this way, I have plenty of people in my life whom I have chosen to cut ties with b/c of certain behaviors of theirs I didn’t agree with. That is my choice to remove them from my life. HOWEVER, I would NEVER get on a public forums and throw such hate and disgust their way, put their home telephone number out there for the world to see, or humiliate them in such a degrading and public way. It’s just not called for. You don’t like her. Fine. You don’t agree with her. Fine. Heck, you can even voice your opposing opinion, but to sit behind a computer screen and hide behind your keyboard in order to attack her is bullying. Hands down. And I for one am so sick and tired of seeing adults resort to behavior we are trying to limit in our children. So many today talk the talk but refuse to walk the walk. I applaud your post, Jackie!

4. Rebeca says:

Great piece, Jackie. I know that there some horrible people in the world, but I never like to see someone taken down like that. It’s just so much more fulfilling to be nice….and if you can’t do that, just walk away. To go out of your way to be mean to someone shows more about you than it does them.

5. Katrina Moody says:

I don’t understand why anyone would be so eager to spread the vitriol. The fact is that the whole situation is making bloggers look bad. First you have Sarah – who made a mistake in pitching to a company who obviously felt the need to share her mistake instead of just not responding to it (what most businesses do with pitched by an enthusiastic blogger).

… And then you have all the comments from people more than eager to tear her down. Bloggers, especially women bloggers, need to be lifting each other up – the rest of the world is more than eager to tear us down! The nastiness that is festering as a result of a woman making a mistake … that only tells the rest of the world that other women can be cruel, petty and vindictive.

No matter what someone is like as a person they don’t deserve to be treated this way. I don’t care if they are horrible in real life or if you just think they are – you never know the struggles another person is going through. Sometimes it’s worth letting something go.

I think it’s incredibly easy to tear someone down, especially when everywhere you look people are eager to do it right along with you. I don’t know her. And I don’t care if I knew her … she’s a woman who made a mistake. We’ve all made mistakes, haven’t we?

6. Krista says:

Someone once told me “Don’t hate anyone. That means they hold power over you.” I have always remembered that b/c no matter how much I might not like a person, or what they do, or how they act…etc. I will never hate them. Because I will not let them hold power over me, or cause me to do things that aren’t me, or become someone I don’t recognize.

7. Crystal says:

It frustrates me to see ADULTS try to justify this behavior. “Well she did or said this or that so that’s why this is ok.” It’s NOT OK.

If you don’t like what someone does, try dealing with that person directly to achieve a resolution. Or be the bigger person and let it go. At the end of the day you only have control of yourself, and you have to answer for your own actions, not others.

I don’t know Sarah, but I know she doesn’t deserve this level of hate.