My Whispered ‘H’ Secret

| January 15, 2013 | 9 Comments

E searching for pictures with the small a sound in her first homeschool week.

Ok, I’ve been keeping a secret from you. Well, if you’ve been paying really close attention, you may have heard me hint or even mention it. (However, since The Husband doesn’t even read this blog regularly, I’m guessing you haven’t been paying really close attention.)

Anyway, last week I started homeschooling E.

I SAID, I started homeschooling E.

Look, I know what some of you are thinking (because some of my friends and family have said it directly to me):

She’s going to be a freak kid!

How will she ever learn and get through life?

She’ll never grow socially if you home school her.

Only religious freaks homeschool!

You’re not qualified to homeschool.

[Insert your own thought here]

And those who didn’t say it, I could see a variation of those things in bubbles over their heads.

But the thing is? I really never cared what anyone thought about it–or anything else I do, really. (Sorry.) It’s something that I’ve thought about since E was born and, with some dissatisfaction with the preschool we had her in, I know I can give her what she needs. She has an interest in art and music and, unfortunately, she isn’t going to get much of that in public school anymore. I can give her that, and more, based on her learning style. (Today, she made a bracelet while we talked about a subject, and then freakishly regurgitated the information later. I don’t see a teacher supporting that learning style in a public school.)

Also, I was afraid that “traditional” school was going to squash her creativity–which
is one of the things I love most about her. I didn’t want some teacher or peer group trying to stuff her squareness into some predetermined round hole because that’s what some state test said she should be. (And, don’t even get me started on how much time is wasted on just preparing for state testing and then at the end of the school year because they’ve already gotten state testing out of the way.)

(Digress.)

So, why have I kept it mostly a secret? I don’t know, really. I think I didn’t want to answer any questions about it until I at least had one week under my belt (we’re on week two now) and had a full understanding. And really? The first week kicked my ass. I wanted to quit. I’m glad I didn’t because I watched things “click” in E’s brain today that was more fulfilling than I could ever imagine. However, if at some point this stops working for us (for whatever reason), I’m not ashamed to put her back in school. More judgment and all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it on your social networks, leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Do it for the sock monkeys, man.
p5rn7vb

Tags: ,

Category: Homeschool, Parenting

About the Author ()

Jacqueline Wilson (WritRams) is your flight attendant for this portion of your travels. Please make sure your tray tables are stored and your seats are in the full upright position. Learn how to get me as your personal "flight attendant" or more about how to make money on your blog just like I do.

Comments (9)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Good for you!! If my children could no longer attend the school we have them in now, I would homeschool (or at least attempt it) Good luck and forget about all the haters ;)

2. Kathleen Babicz says:

That’s awesome! My husband and I have tinkered with the idea of homeschooling our children…but have been afraid to take the leap. Our oldest is only in kindergarten, but already she comes home with new bad habits regularly, has been exposed to conversations and/or language we’d rather she not hear, from older kids on the bus (even one of her 6-year-old busmates told our five year old ALL about the Sandy Hook shootings), and it seems even her self esteem is taking hits at some times, either from her classmates or from the schools “color-coded behavior rating scale” which they seem to focus on more than the lessons themselves. *sigh*
    I admire you for taking the initiative to try it out – even if it doesn’t work out – at least you’re trying. She’ll be getting one-on-one attention that can be adjusted to the way that she is able to learn best. That’s FANTASTIC! I hope you keep us all updated on your homeschooling journey. ;)

3. Good for you doing what is best for your kid! When I tell folks that we do hybrid online school… they act like I sold her to the circus… But it is really so the best thing for her and I LOVE that she flourishes and loves school. I think it is very smart of you to protect her creativity… that will serve her so much in life!

4. Susan says:

Yay — I think that’s awesome! I think our public school system is almost completely broken down. If you don’t fit into the very narrow definition of a “normal” learner, you aren’t going to get much out of the teach to the masses technique. My sister has considered homeschooling both of her kids, each of whom has special needs that aren’t even closely being met in school.

I think your daughter is very lucky and is going to end up with a far better education.

5. Christin says:

Yay! Cheers to a successful start. This is only my second year homeschooling and they were not consecutive so it feels like the first, I congratulate you on taking this leap that can feel daunting even when you know in your heart it is what is best for your child and family. That is the key, we all get to choose how to raise and educate our own children in the best way that suits their needs and ours. It has been my personal experience that when people have a negative opinion about homeschooling it is because they really do not know very much about it and are making a lot of uninformed opinions and assumptions. I recently had an older neighbor ask my 12 y/o about our homeschooling and what we “do”, Adriana was happy to explain the curriculum that we use and even pulled out some of her work and shared it with him. He was amazed at the level of math she was doing and impressed with our discipline to do the work that we are doing on a daily basis. After a lengthy conversation about our typical day and week with co-op classes, theater classes and organized field trips he admitted that his opinion about homeschooling had changed. He said that after getting to know my girls, and learning more about “what we do”, he now knows that they really are getting a solid education. As a homeschool mom, I was thrilled to have a positive impact for the homeschooling community. Today, I am especially thankful that my high school daughter is looking forward to homeschooling again next year as we discussed her curriculum choices and she is so happy to know that she can dual enroll in the local college during her 10th grade year. We are moving forward and planning for her future and college just as we would if she were in a public or private school (we have done both in the past). Keep moving forward, one day at a time.

6. THE Husband says:

Contrary to unpopular commentary… I DO follow this blog :-) AND; I can definitively state that this author (wife) is/has done an AMAZING job with everything related to E’s educational start in home schooling. @writrams you ROCK as a Mommy & a teacher. I am so impressed with what you have done to create an appropriate learning environment, develop a solid curriculum, & thoughtfully plan each course – EVERYTHING! Most of all, I am impressed at how well E has taken to it all, and how quickly she is learning. She genuinely appears to be enjoying it too! You make me proud.

7. Jackie says:

Good for you!

I knew very little of homeschooling when my kids were little and had I known what I know now I may have done the same thing. My girls are more than half way done with school so I doubt that I’ll start now!

Good luck!

8. marie says:

whahoooooooooooo

i’m so proud of you – so much extra work, but so worth the effort.

i wanted to, but never could financially due to work.

she is going to be an awesome young lady… cause she has an awesome mommie! (and daddy)

@spreadingJOY